Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Second Saturday 4/14

During the Second saturday of every month The Paint Yard encourages artists to challenge themselves creatively in the courtyard outside.l love these events because every month is unique so you know you are in for a surprise ! From friends hanging out and teaching our youth about the discipline behind being a successful artist to visitors coming by and blessing us with their style. This month TPY decided to switch things up and have their resident artists paint on canvas. I personally  felt like it was a challenge I needed to take in order really test my can control. We headed outside and I was immediately reminded of "Pedicab" , for those of you who do not know, this is where Hip Hop 101 originated and this is also the first place I ever painted side by side with Soup. l Knew I was in for a treat! Vicious came out and brought one of his homies from San Marcos (who has been buying paint recently for a turn table project, can you say full circle?) They kept us jamming all day... they even brought the party inside when we switched it up! Which had some creativity of its own.Our shop manager Mike is always coming up with creative ways to improve our store. This time he found an amazing way to display back packs. You definitely have to step into the shop to get the full effect but, I can share a photo or two to give you lovelies a taste. As for outside, I may have started off pushing myself to be better than I ever have in a semi unfamiliar world because I'm painting next to someone who literally makes a living painting on canvas with aerosol! However somewhere along the way I realized I can only become "better" than I was before if I'm having fun because well, having fun is better than stressing!!  For those few hours I felt free again. Painting a large canvas gave me the challenges I conquer on walls yet the peace I get from brushes. There were plenty of moments were I felt like one with the canvas and forgot I was not alone. Maybe it was the creative conversations filled with tips and pointers, maybe it was the reminiscing of my beginning of live art in San Antonio, maybe it's Maybelline. .. whatever it is, painting at TPY Urban during Second Saturday reminded me of how creative we are as artists when we challenge ourselves. I am so grateful for the boundaries this event breaks and the growth I've acquired from this experience. Remember,  you will never know if your wings work until you try to fly.

Thank you TPY Urban..

Rabbit Rye

No comments:

Post a Comment